Friday, August 25, 2006

People Are Strange / FOAD Friday




















People are strange. Musicians doubly so. I tried out this rhythm section last Saturday. No great shakes. Ordinarily I would have said 'Thanks but no thanks." but because they seemed nice I decided to give them a 2nd shot. I should have known this deal was fucked when between the two guys I must have had 50 pages of email before we even played a note and the biggest point of contention was the fucking name of the band. I should have told them the name was Jesus Christ since that's what I ended up saying more than anything else. Anyway, to make long story short the drummer calls me last night all bent out of shape going "My head's going to explode. There's too much tension in the band. We quit." I'm like "WHAT THE FUCK?" It's a BAND. What's the big fuckin deal? You learn your parts, show up, play, get paid and go home. I can't understand people. They act like it's all personal. Whatever. Thank God I didn't hire these guys and then have them bow out on me before (or in the middle of) a gig because "There's too much tension in the band." What the hell is THAT crap? Sheesh. Welcome to Fuck Off And Die Friday. Have a nice weekend.

12 comments:

AndyT13 said...

No doubt!

MG said...

omg, that's crazy...
they sound like a bunch of.... girls!

damn.

yeah, FUCK 'em.... you don't need their drama.

ZooooM said...

Oh, I'm familiar. There's a certain person in my life whom everone excuses her "rudeness" as "She's an artist." As if it's a license.

MG said...

New band name:
Andy and the Pussies.

Hoochie Mama said...

What a bunch of pains in the ass!

Have a great Fucking weekend!

AndyT13 said...

Eh, they were nice guys. Just...weird. I would have hired the drummer but apparently they're joined at the hip. It's hard for me to fathom why musicians take things so personally. If they were computer programmers and I picked the better coder no one would cry.

lime said...

and these are the guys who nixed EXIT 69? sheesh, i shoulda known...

Phain said...

dang it! mg stole my line: Pussies

Anonymous said...

Ah!! My brother is a musician... and never really made it... because of crap like this... Very hard to play in band... so, he plays for himself and some close friends... Yes, they all take it personal... while they should look at it as a job... because that is what it is... your guys sound like a teenager band... and I think you are a long way above that.. ;-)

mg... I wont forget that sexist line... lololol ;-)

ALRO said...

Being a musician myself, I sorta know what you're going through. The band i'm in now is membered by my father, his best buddy - and HIS buddy's son.. and what makes that special is the chemistry we have.

If there are too many ego-maniacs in the band, you'll get 'too much tension in the band'. I was in a band about 5 years ago where there were alot of egos.. I left the band after a year cuz the bass player was a complete dick; too much self-worship in that bastard's head .. and it made playing with them UN-FUN! Funny enough - he was the guy with the least talent in the band... he was just the guy with the PA.

I learned then and there, to buy my OWN gear .. form my own band...

Incidentally, I just quit my current band, simply because we are WAY too busy and as my family grows, my priorities are changing.. however i AM honoring our entire calender until the end of the year...
I can't imagine these guys just breaking up and cancelling a gig like that.. you burn bridges that way.

ALRO said...

btw: Pyrhonik .. i'm the lead singer of my band HAHAHAHAHA.. too funny..

Check out our site:

http://www.alromusic.com

Stealth said...

people are strange when you're a stranger....


:-)

You have me in a singing mood...