Friday, November 10, 2006

The God Shaped Hole









lookin' for to save my save my soul
lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
lookin' for to fill that GOD shaped hole
mother mother sucking rock and roll
(been around the back... been around the front)
holy dunc, spacejunk comin' in for the splash
white dopes on punk stareing into the flash
lookin' for baby Jesus under the trash
mother mother suckin' rock and roll
mother rock and roll
mother am I still your son, you know
I've waited so long to hear you say no
mother you left and made me someone
now I'm still a child but no one tells me no
lookin' for a sound that's gonna drown out the world
lookin' for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
still looking for the face I had before the world was made
mother mother sucking rock and roll
bubble poppin' sugar droppin' rock and roll
woo me sister
move me brother
soothe me mother
rule me father
show me mother
-Mofo (U2)

4 comments:

Stealth said...

Hi Andy! Hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Hummm... spitfire... I don't want to disapoint you... but to me, that doesn't sound well at all...

Andy13, my dear nephew... would you please stop listen to all the depressed people you may find in the music world???
So many are singing joy and happiness... and they didn't have it easy as we do... You couldn't filled that today's post with Louis Armstrong "What a beautiful world"??? You like jazz... so why turning to U2 that are actually more disapointing than Bush in his worst days??? In my opinion and after I had seen The movie about Leonard Cohen, Bono is a triple idiot... He have nothing to say but still trows around words that have nothing to do with what he is supposed to talk about...
Yes, Andy13... I'm kicking your ass tonight... because you are loosing faith in yourself and your strenght...
Hey, man... I count on your influence and example to drink less... or even stop... please... don't let me down with such lyrics... It is so easy to let go in self-pity and drown even deeper... I don't want that for anyone... not even my ennemies...
Head up, Andy13... You are a well looking man full of talents... you have no need of mommy to tell you no... you have no need of daddy ruling you... You can do it yourself, because you know what you want and how to get there... You are a responsible adult who know what is good for himself...
Hey... shoulders up, belly's in... head straight forward... Be good for you tonight... ;-))

AndyT13 said...

Hmmm. I didn't think this song was particularly negative. "Looking for to save my soul, looking for to fill that god shaped hole." It's a song about the search for redemption which is something I'm very much seeking right now. I have not lost faith, nor do I despair (much).
Further proof that music is always open to interpretation. What Leonard Cohen movie?

Anonymous said...

Humm.. I was probably transfering my own feelings to the song's lyrics.. Admit that this is not one of the most... happiest... ;-))
Cohen movie... wasn't very good... and Bono and the Edge presence only added to the not so good qualification...
Empty words... and I still womder what the hell they were doning in that movie...
You can find it here... "I'm your man"