Saturday, September 16, 2006

Nobody's Perfect

I think everyone does the best they can with what they've got. I don't think anyone sets out to fail. It's rare to find someone who is truly evil. Most people are self centered. It's the nature of the beast. You don't meet many Gandhis in day to day life. That said I try not to hurt people and rarely do so on purpose. In point of fact I try to help people whenever I can and one of my greater failings in life is that I tend to try to please everyone. As a result I sometimes make mistakes and people get hurt. I freely admit this and apologize sincerely to the people I've hurt. Humans follow their instincts sometimes even when those instincts are wrong. Nobody's perfect. How's that for an anonymous act of contrition? I'm sorry. Again. Still.

Today's racing went OK. The competition is much stiffer on riverwide weekend regattas. We took 3d and 2nd in today's two races. In our defense in race 1 we got screwed by a dirty bit of cheating. A boat in flagrat violation of at least two rules wrecked our start and our captain was too good of a sport to protest though he was well within his rights to do so (and was lobbied mightily by the crew to do so). That was the wrong choice for competition but the right choice for integrity and I love our captain the more for it. In the 2nd race we were clearly favored to win and had a disasterous equipment failure mid race that cost us our lead by the time we repaired it. We could theoretically still eek out a 1st place for the weekend regatta but it's a hail Mary at best. Wish us luck. No one is perfect.

5 comments:

guttergirl said...

Best of luck this weekend.

lime said...

good luck, i guess by now it's over...but still, all t he best.

Anonymous said...

Hey doll! A+ for effort, eh?
And I hope that whoever that apology was for, reads it, and accepts it.

erika said...

You right no one's perfect! So stop being so hard on your self!

Phain said...

Integrity is knowing the right path to take...and then taking it. Hope the regatta ended well for you ;)