Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bloggeriffic!


My old buddy Mike (the drummer here) sent me this pic the other day of us playing at Violet's, a jazz club in Greenwich Connecticut some years back. You may notice that Mike and I are SMOKING! INSIDE a BAR! Amazing, I know. Shocking immorality. That's Jeff Smith playing the keyboards. He's a kick ass bebop player. The phrase I heard in this band more than any other was "Take another chorus!" Oy! We must have played Giant Steps a million times. We would purposely play hard stuff as fast as we could BECAUSE it was hard. Why? I can't now recall but it seemed like fun at the time. Except for my poor fingers! I should have switched to fretless electric but I liked the look of the upright. "Standup" Toomey, that's me. My car broke down on the way to this gig and I had to walk to a pay phone and get my buddy and roomate Seth to drive me to the gig. I left the car by the side of the road. Ah, the good old days.

5 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Awesome pic.

You can still smoke in bars in this berg, but only for about 6 more months. Smokers are in an uproar, while nonsmokers cheer. It's a fierce conflict!

Anonymous said...

look at that sexy hair - hey, there's smoking in restaurants in texas!

Anonymous said...

You should have tell me before you were playing cello... That's a fucking turn on... ;-))

lime said...

fun pick, really fun. and i am with you on the looks of the big ass bass. also, kudos for the grace with which you handled anon on last post. i think the two of you were brought in rather stark contrast. well done.

The Melody Censor said...

Really great picture...and a fun trip down memory lane too!