Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Racism and Me

When I was growing up I was taught and had the firm conviction that all people were created equal regardless of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation and whatever else may seperate us from one another. As an adult, even though I know it to be true that some people are assholes and some aren't, I have found that certain types of people tend to have more jerks per capita. Since 9/11, like many people around the world, I've been especially distrustful of Arabs and Muslims in general. I'm not proud of this but it's a fact. Being a free thinker I find any authoritarian culture repulsive. The problem here is not Arabs or Jews of Blacks or Whites. The problem is Orthodoxy. You can be a devout person of faith and I will respect you and try not to get in the way of your religion. However; if your religion a) requires me to die or be taxed or enslaved if I don't believe as you do, b) requires your women or mine to be raped, murdered or enslaved in any way for any reason, c) requires us or our children to behave as you imagine your God would have us behave then I submit that you are a danger to human society as a whole and that you and your religion need to be exterminated as completely and totally as possible by the rest of us. I believe this to be true no matter what you call yourself or your imaginary friend. I call you a dangerous psychopath. And now, some meaningful Arabic:


Transliteration
Yūladu jamī'u n-nāsi ahrāran mutasāwīna fī l-karāmati wa-l-huqūq. Wa-qad wuhibū 'aqlan wa-damīran wa-'alayhim an yu'āmila ba'huhum ba'han bi-rūhi l-ikhā'.

Listen to recording of this text by زين العابدين أيوبي (Zein Al-A'bideen Ayyoubi)

Translation
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. (Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

No comments: