Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Portrait challenge

As often happens when winter comes and I taper off gigging my focus turns to art. LuAnn Dunkinson turned me onto Karin Jurick. Karin's an amazing painter and also runs a neat little thing called Different Strokes From Different Folks where she posts challenges for her fellow artists and then displays the results. Cool hunh? So I joined the recent portrait challenge. 130 artists paired up so you painted the artist who was painting you.
Here's my guy, Jerry Points:

and my painting of him:

We had three weeks and I spent about two hours on it LOL I think it shows but I'm still pretty happy with it. It's been a long long time since I did any painting at all so I'm really looking forward to doing more of these challenges! Fun!
My picture and Jerry's painting of me are HERE

4 comments:

Lil Bit said...

Helluva lot better than I could have done in only 2 hours!
Sounds like you're involving yourself in some very cool projects & things!

Thanks for your visit a lil while; it was so nice to hear from you again.

Hope all's well in your lil corner of the planet and you had a great holiday season!
All the best in 2009! =)

Cacahuete_sr said...

thanks for your e mail! your work is awesome! and seriously...if i could paint something that great in only 2 hrs i'd be very happy!

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

Andy, you gave this portrait a lot of detail and color variation for someone who hasn't painted in a long time. And you're right, it is HARD to paint people! Mainly because we "know" so much about how they look and we can't forget that and just paint shapes and values like we do with other subjects. I'm just starting mine and struggling with trying to edit and consolidate. It is HARD! I want to be loose on this one and have fun. Hmmmm... :)

S said...

Hey Andy! Hows it going?
Happy New Year and all that stuff.

Love
Susie